In this resource guide you will find a list of recommended links and hardware for working with the Raspberry Pi.
Raspberry Pi 4
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Basic Kit (2GB) - Amazon affiliate link - the kit contains heat sinks and a USB-C power supply with a switch that is guaranteed to work with the RPI 4
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Basic Kit - order direct from CanaKit
Raspberry Pi 3
- Arducam 5 Megapixels 1080P OV5647 Camera Module with CS Mount Lens for Raspberry Pi Model 4/3B+/3/2/A/B/B+
- CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) with 2.5A Power Supply (UL Listed)
- Vilros Raspberry Pi Zero W Complete Starter Kit-Premium Black Case Edition-Includes Pi Zero W and 7 Essential Accessories
- Vilros Raspberry Pi Zero W Basic Starter Kit with Official Case-Power Supply and More
Pi Zero WH
If you would like to start simple and do some hardware interfacing (switches, LEDs, etc), I would recommend starting with a Raspberry Pi WH. The H stands for "header" - the pins soldered to the GPIO pins.
- Waveshare Raspberry Pi Zero WH The Low-Cost Pared-Down Pi with Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth Pre-soldered GPIO Headers
Some fans will work with an existing heatsink, others won't. Always read the product details before buying.
- Pimoroni Fan Shim for Raspberry PI - this fan won't fit if there is a heatsink in place
Power Supply with Switch
If you have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ or lower you can power it with a microUSB power supply (the Raspberry Pi 4 requires USB-C). I like this microUSB power supply from CanaKit that comes with a switch.
- RPi NoIR Camera V2, Official Raspberry Pi Infrared Camera Module V2-8MP 1080p30, Night Vision, Supports Raspberry Pi and Jetson Nano
- SainSmart Wide Angle Fish-Eye Camera Lenses for Raspberry Pi Arduino
- Day-Night Vision for Raspberry Pi Camera, Arducam All-Day Image All-Model Support, IR LED for Low Light and Night Vision, M12 Lens Interchangeable, IR Filter Switch Programmable, OV5647 5MP 1080P
Micro SD Card with Adapter
You will need a Micro SD Card with an adapter. I recommend buying at least a few. For simple projects you can probably get by with at least an 8GB card. For larger cards I like the SanDisk Extreme series.
- SanDisk 64GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter
- SanDisk 128GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter
- Official 7 Inch Touch Screen for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Pi 2
- SmartiPi Touch case for The Official Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display - Adjustable Angle
See my related article: How to Power a Raspberry Pi from Rechargeable Batteries
- US Ship Hobbywing 5V/6V 3A Switch-mode UBEC, Max 5A Lowest RF
- 2 Pack ShareGoo 3A 5V DC-DC Converter Step Down UBEC Module For RC Quadcopter Plane FPV Holder Camera Servo Power Supply
- Sutemribor M2.5 Male Female Hex Brass Spacer Standoff Screw Nut Assortment Kit (180Pcs) - I like this kit because it has a variety of types and sizes
- HanTof Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Standoffs Pack 24 Pieces/LoT M2.5 (11mm Body + 6mm Screw) Hex Brass Standoff Cylinder + Screw + Nut Kits for Raspberry pi 3 B Plus/3B/2B/B+/A+ Hat - this is another kit I've used when I just needed male to female spacers for stacking
For more information on Raspberry Pi standoffs, see my article:
- Digital Soldering Station with Chisel Tip Pack T18-D08/D12/D24/D32/S3 - for soldering, I use a Hakko FX888D. When I upgraded I bought this kit that includes 5 tips.
- Mudder Lead Free Solder Wire Sn99 Ag0.3 Cu0.7 with Rosin Core for Electrical Soldering 100g (0.8 mm)